[sork] problems with sork passwd

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 11 09:09:50 PST 2003

Quoting Angelica Escobar <angeles at ibc-solutions.com>:

> how can I do that the help for passwd comes in the language that I am
> working? for example, my login was in spanish, but the help for the passwd
> module is in english and I want that it comes in spanish too for my users.

Locate the file passwd/locale/en_US/help.xml.  Copy it to
passwd/locale/es_ES/help.xml.  Edit that file, and translate it into
Spanish.  Submit it to the i18n or sork mailing list so we can include
it in future releases for others to use.

> what about the security using poppassd?? which preventions have I to fallow?
> do you know? or some body here knows??

It is summarized in passwd/docs/INSTALL.  To quote:

Note that some drivers like poppassd always use clear text password
transmissions. Others may also use clear text passwords (e.g. the expect
script driver using telnet rather than ssh).   This can be considered
somewhat safe if the server is on the same machine, there are no user
interactive logins allowed on that machine, and the connection uses the
loopback (localhost) interace.  It is up to the installer to evaluate the
security implications of using this module, and to understand the
security implications of how their server and this module is configured.

I feel comfortable using poppassd as described (on same machine via
loopback, with no interactive logins to the machine).  Whether you feel
comfortable with your setup is up to you to decide.