[sork] vacation / forward access to people with /bin/false as shell

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 11 12:22:07 PST 2003

Quoting Joe Jenkins <joe at nerdnet.com>:

> On my installation, many of our users have access to email from our server
> only, no shell, so vacation and forward does not seem to work, since it
> needs access to the users home directory to create the .forward file (as far
> as I can tell)  Is there any other alternative for me in this situation?  I
> am looking around but can't come up with an easy solution yet ;)

We would need to know your setup to answer correctly.  Why don't they have
home directories?  Can you configure localhost ftp to allow them while still
denying shell access?  What mail software (pop3 or imap server, etc) do
you use?  Are your accounts system accounts or sql accounts or ldap accounts
or what?  What is your mail MTA (sendmail, postfix, sql, etc)?

> Many thanks,
> Joe

It may be there is no solution, but chances are there is a solution.  Now,
we can't provide a solution without knowing your setup.  And if we do
provide a solution, you may not like it ;)