[sork] Vacation - unable to connect to server

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 8 10:40:09 PST 2003

Quoting "Peter K. Botcherby" <Peter.Botcherby at genetics.kcl.ac.uk>:

> Previously with the Horde 2.2.3 stable release I had problems with vacation
> not
> honouring aliases so following Eric's advice I installed the CVS versions of
> Horde and Imp and Sork

That wasn't my advice.  My advice was to install the CVS RELENG code of
vacation which would work fine with the stable releases of horde et al.

> All ok except the vacation and forward modules - that say they cannot connect
> the ftp server.  ftp is enabled in php which I have updated to php-4.3.4 and
> all tests appear to be working correctly.  (BTW Not tried the passwd module

Did you configure the ftp the same way in Hore and vacation/forwards?  For
example, always use either "localhost" or the FQDN or whatever?

> Failure in modifying vacation notice: Connection to FTP server failed. Check
> your username and password

I'm not sure, but I think that means it probably did connect to the service,
but failed the login (I'd have to check the code to refresh my memory to be
sure, and I don't have time right now).  If you enable ftp server logging,
you should hopefully get an error message that might be useful (like bad
username, permission denied, bad password, etc).

> As initially I had to use ftp as the backend to login to horde I do not
> understand what is going on and would appreciate your help again.

Unless you use different host names (like localhost vs FQDN) in the two,
then it should work.  If it isn't, it is likely an issue such as username
including/excluding the domain in one version, or something like that.

You're ftp logs would be very useful in this case.

> I really
> need to get vacation and forwards working.

Let me know if you have ftp logs, can enable them, don't have any access
to them, etc. and we'll work from there.