[sork] vacation, xml-config and realm

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 27 07:05:18 PST 2004

Quoting Martin Luethi <horde at humbapa.ch>:

> Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:31:31 +0100 Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
> >> the sork-modules use different "config-styles"
> >> accounts: conf.xml without realm or preferred
> >> forwards: conf.xml with realms
> >> passwd: backends.php with preferred
> >
> > This (backends.php) is the preferred one, because this is how all other
> > Horde applications work that support different backends.
>
> why does only passwd use a backends.php?

Becuase no one has ported any of the others to a backends.php setup.

> what is the criteria for using a backends.php or just conf.xml?

One thing would be: does it need to support multiple backends for multiple
servers?

> I don't understand why several horde-modules split the config-part in
> different files. wouldn't it be better to have only one file and make all
> the configuration stuff via the horde->administration->configuration
> interface?
> or just add a backend-config section to this interface?

Interesting question, which I read as:  Can we somehow make the admin
configuration allow for multiple configuration files for one application?

> I just think it's a bit confusing to configure some parts here and the other
> parts there.

But, it is rather needed.  Even IMP has multiple files (servers.php for the
servers, conf.* for the rest), and it is the number one app used under
Horde...

> PS: I'm sorry about asking you so many questions. would it be better to ask
>     this kind of questions in horde-dev?

I don't think it matters much, though you may get a few more answers/comments
on the dev list, as it will hit more people.