[sork] Re: Backquotes in parser

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 8 20:01:32 PDT 2004

Quoting Espen Jürgensen <espen at hhkol.dk>:

> Hi Eric,

Hi.  Please keep things on the mailing lists.

> About those backquotes, it seems that imap_rfc822_...() takes care of it
> just fine. But actually, I don't really know if backquotes in .forward
> are supposed to have any special meaning? It seems the function doesn't
> treat them so special:

Most newer versions of software don't require them anymore, but some
still do, and lots of people still run older versions.  What they
do is prevent mail from looping in older versions.  So it is very
important to use them and support them.

> `hello at hello.com` becomes mailbox=`hello and host=hello.com`
> ` hello at hello.com` gives syntax error.

But would be valid in a .forward file, so we need to account for it.
Maybe run it through trim() and what have you first...

> However, I did forget to look for syntax error in the code, so the
> following should be added to line 61 of the patch (line 284 in
> forwards.php):
>
> && !preg_match('/.*SYNTAX-ERROR.*/', $adr->host)

You might want to update your copy as the discussion continues, and
submit an updated patch afterwards...