[sork] Re: Please help

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 15 08:20:12 PST 2004

Quoting Jayesh <jayesh at poornam.com>:

> Hello Eric,

Hi.

and/or http://lists.horde.org/ instead of writing me directly.

>       Our company has got a web server in MS Windows 2003 having Plesk
> control

I know nothing about running Horde with Windows or Plesk.

> panel. When i tried to reset  the password through the webmail i got an error
> (given below)
>
> Failure in changing password : A connection attempt failed because the
> connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or
> established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Pretty much sums it up.

> I also tried a telnet to our public Ip but in vain. I could connect to port
> 106 only through the localhost 127.0.0.1.

Then either your poppassd is not listening on the public address, or you
have a firewall blocking it, or some other mechanism blocking it.

> Also, the public IP has been given
> in the config file
> C:\Inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\passwd\lib\Driver\poppassd.php.

Either change that to the localhost address (assuming they are on the same
machine), or fix the problem with access to the public address.

> Would you please advice?

Sounds like you have basically diagnosed the problem.  Poppassd is running
only on the localhost address, not the public address, or it is listening
on both but something else (e.g. firewall or configuration) is blocking
access to it on the public address.

Solutions would be to use localhost address instead, or find and fix the
problem with the public address.