[sork] Passwd backends

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 28 11:11:44 PST 2005

Quoting - Fredde - <nagash303 at hotmail.com>:

> >Quoting Fred Ho <fkho at fredho.net>:
> >
> > >     For a quick hack, you can modify the HTML text by adding the
> > > "readonly" attribute in the file horde/passwd/templates/main as in
> > > the line here:
> >
> >Why, and in what version?  In the current versions (e.g. HEAD) there
> >should be a configuration item which reads:
>
> I use, 2.2.1, current enough? Horde is 2.2.7.

Not if you want to not allow the username to be displayed, no.  2.2.1
does not have this option.  But since that is the latest release version,
then I guess you have a problem there.

> >Should we allow the user to specify the username?
>
> I dont need that, but shure, as long as its in the config.

But it is the configuration option that does what your code does.  It is
in the config in some versions.  It turns out it isn't in 2.2.1 though.
Which I guess is the problem in your case.

> >This disables the ability of the user to change the username, which
> >is what you want.
>
> No, I just sad that I wanted a configure way of decide it. The fix abow
> (dirty or not) does the job, until a real patch is around.

The real patch exists, it was just never back-ported to the 2.2.x releases.
It should be obviously.

> >Earlier versions should either have the same type of setting, or not
> >have a field for the username at all.
>
> Why is that feature gone? I cant see the point of get rid of it.

Someone at some point removed it, probably because when they made a major
change to the code, they didn't know how to keep this functionality there,
or perhaps they just assumed it wasn't needed and decided to remove it.

It was re-added later (e.g. in CVS HEAD) so obviously it is deemed important.

> >So I'm confused why you want to modify code to add something that should
> >already be available.  But since no one has said yet what version, I can't
> >verify anything.
>
> Ok, then tell me were in 2.2.1 I can configure to use hole username (include
> @domain) and were to look the edit username feature.

In 2.2.1 you configure adding the domain via the hook that is provided, as
per my previous e-mail to the list.  However, you can not in 2.2.1 disable
the username field (stop the user from editing it).  This is wrong, and should
be fixed (e.g. release a 2.2.2 release with the change backported from HEAD
to support this).

Now do you see why it is important to mention the version you use when asking
questions?  Otherwise, I'm going to assume that since it is working in
my version, and is working in other versions, it should work for you.  When
you tell me what version, I can check that version and see if it is there
or not, instead of leading you down the wrong road.