[sork] Bumping previous question: "incorrect password error on Passwd 2.2.1

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:29:26 PST 2005

Quoting Frank Reta <frankreta at mac.com>:

> Running Horde 2.2.4, IMP 3.2.  Data warehoused in MySQL using crypt
> encryption for the passwords.  Horde is using IMP for authentication and
> it's all (Horde and IMP, not Passwd) running beautifully.

"Crypt" may not be the correct encryption.  Try using "md5-hex" instead.

There have also been issues in the past with what format the encrypted
script should be in.  Sometimes it wants just the encrypted value, other
times it wants that prefixed with a string telling the encrypted type.

I'm not an expert on this all, but there is a lot about it in the list
archives.

I'd suggest trying md5-hex first, and if that doesn't work out, then
either try the list archives, and post back to the mailing list for help.

> Troubleshooting:
> - Although I set everything to use crypt encryption, I double checked it
> using a crypt password ->plaintext converter - checked out ok.

Without any info on the converted used, this isn't of much help.

> - For grins, I changed in passwd/backends.php: 'encryption' => 'crypt',  to
> 'encryption' => 'plain',   then I went into the MySQL DB and keyed in a
> plain text password.  Passwd then changed the password.  This tells me that
> it's not having any issue accessing the database, the table or the fields to
> query the DB, but it is having an issue in parsing the current crypted
> password.

Yes, that all sounds correct.