[sork] passwd parameters to own script

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 7 18:38:09 PST 2006

Quoting Mark Worsdall <sork at worsdall.demon.co.uk>:

> I want to pass the old and new password to my password script.
>
> i.e.
>
> /path/to/my/script oldpasswd newpasswd
>
> is this possible?

Not exactly.  You might be able to adapt either your program to work
with an existing driver like expect or procopen, or you might be able
to adapt a driver like expect or procopen to work with your program.

>      'params' => array(
>          'program' => '/path/to/my/script + myargs'
>      )

Procopen runs a program passing the args as stdin.  Expect does similar
based on prompts for the username and password.  As far as I know no driver
yet passes the username and password as arguments to the program.

> Doing this cos
> a) cannot get the poppasswd backend to work, (Was hoping there would be
> an imap backend)

There is no way to change a password via imap (it isn't in the program).
Maybe someone could help you get poppassd running?

> b) once the password is successfully changed a load of other scripts are
> fired up to populate other things.

Might be able to do this with the expect + composite driver, or something,
but it would depend on what you need to do, etc.

Go Longhorns!