[sork] WG: Troubles with passwd and ldap

eculp@encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Mar 24 03:09:20 PST 2006

Quoting cy at htlwrn.ac.at:

> Hi
> I am using Horde, Imp, Turba and Kronolith for our webmailsystem here
> (1500+Users)
> All works fine.
> Now I want to implement Sorks
> First I tried to configure passwd and it gives me a headache.
> Here are my config.php and the backends.php:
> <?php
> /* CONFIG START. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN OR AFTER THIS LINE. */
> // $Horde: passwd/config/conf.xml,v 1.12 2005/10/09 14:48:58 jan Exp $
> $conf['menu']['apps'] = array();
> $conf['backend']['backend_list'] = 'hidden';
> $conf['user']['change'] = false;
> $conf['user']['refused'] = array('root', 'bin', 'daemon', 'adm', 'lp'');
> $conf['password']['strengthtests'] = false;
> $conf['hooks']['full_name'] = false;
> $conf['hooks']['default_username'] = false;
> $conf['hooks']['username'] = false;
> $conf['hooks']['userdn'] = true;
> /* CONFIG END. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN OR BEFORE THIS LINE. */
>
> // NOTE: to set the ldap userdn, see horde/config/hooks.php
> $backends['ldap'] = array(
>    'name' => 'LDAP Server',
>    'password policy' => array(
>        'minLength' => 5,
>        'maxLength' => 10
>    ),
>    'driver' => 'ldap',
>    'params' => array(
>        'host' => 'ldap.htlwrn.ac.at',
>        'port' => 389,
>        'basedn' => 'ou=people,ou=mail,o=htlwrn,c=at',
>        'uid' => 'uid',

The following line is probably wrapped by the mailer but it is always
good to run a syntax check on both passwd/config/backends.php and
config/hooks.php from horde.

# php -l config/hooks.php
No syntax errors detected in config/hooks.php
# php -l passwd/config/backends.php
No syntax errors detected in passwd/config/backends.php

Minor syntax errors in config files have caused me a lot of blank screens ;)

>        // this will be appended to the username when looking for
> the userdn.
>        'realm' => 'ou=people,ou=mail,o=htlwrn,c=at',

Are you sure that the above realm line is needed and correct?  I would
try an empty realm.
          'realm' => '', // this will be appended to the username when
                         // looking for the userdn.

>        'encryption' => 'crypt',
>        // make sure the host == cn in the server certificate
>        'tls' => false
>    )
> );
> and the userdn hook looks like this:
>
> if (!function_exists('_passwd_hook_userdn')) {
>     function _passwd_hook_userdn($auth)
>     {
>         return 'uid=' . $auth . ',ou=people,ou=mail,o=htlwrn,c=at';

You will probably want to check your slapd.log or equivaliant to see
what is being sent to ldap and if it is the expected dn.  I often then
take the dn and feed it to ldappasswd and try changing the password
from the command line with the -w and -s options.

good luck,

ed