[sync] SyncML - a different approach

Stefano Fornari stefano_fornari at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 15:57:50 PDT 2004

Hi All,
let me introduce myself first. My name is Stefano
Fornari and I am the project manager and architect of
Sync4j. Sync4j (http://www.sync4j.org) is an open
source mobile application development framework and
platform which includes a SyncML server written in
Java.

I see you guys have done already a lot of work on the
SyncML stuffs; it is a great work indeed. Looking at
what you have implemented and the messages on the
lists, it looks like you have many pieces of the toy
developed somehow and are in the process of
integrating them. Of course with the lack of resources
available to carry on such a big task.
I know it for experience. At a first glance SyncML
looks like straightforward to understand and easy to
implement... But after a while, playing around it, you
realize that not everything is so clear and safe.
Different phones have different behaviour; you must
support WBXML and MD5 and HMAC authentication; you
have to handle accordingly multimessage packages large
objects; you have to deal with conflicts
detection/resolution; and so on. Then you have to
support people and developers...
I have been leading Sync4j for 2 years and I know what
does it mean and how much effort and resources it
takes.

When I ran into Horde, it was clear to me that SyncML
looks not as the core business for it.

Therefore, I was wandering if you might be interested
in sharing the effort of developing a SyncML interface
to Horde, more than trying to writing everithing once
more. What I can offer you is Sync4j SyncServer, the
Sync4j SyncML server. We will take care of everything
relates to SyncML and you will have only to write the
connectors to the Horde applications (Sync4j has a
quite nice "connector" architecture so that you can
extend it to access any data source). Of course, the
Sync4j community and the Sync4j development team will
give you all the support you need.

If you need more details, do not hesitate to go to
http://www.sync4j.org and have al the technical
documentation.

I look forward to hearing what you think about that.

Kind regards,
Stefano