[sync] SyncML - a different approach

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Jun 30 21:19:24 PDT 2004

Quoting Stefano Fornari <stefano_fornari at yahoo.com>:

> Therefore, I was wandering if you might be interested
> in sharing the effort of developing a SyncML interface
> to Horde, more than trying to writing everithing once
> more. What I can offer you is Sync4j SyncServer, the
> Sync4j SyncML server. We will take care of everything
> relates to SyncML and you will have only to write the
> connectors to the Horde applications (Sync4j has a
> quite nice "connector" architecture so that you can
> extend it to access any data source). Of course, the
> Sync4j community and the Sync4j development team will
> give you all the support you need.

Well, on the Horde side of things, the sync code just calls XML-RPC/SOAP
accessible api methods. So a connector shouldn't be hard to come up
with. And I
don't see this as a mutually exclusive thing, either. For some people, a java
sync server might be desireable; for others, it might be too high a barrier to
installation. Having both would be great.

-chuck