[sync] sync performance and P900

Andrew Suffield asuffield at suffields.me.uk
Wed May 4 09:02:34 PDT 2005

Syncing with a P900 mostly works for me, but with one very irritating
problem: the phone gives up after about ten minutes of waiting for a
response from the server.

Normally this doesn't matter - but when doing a full sync of a very
large (thousands of entries) calendar or contacts database, the phone
times out before the server has finished stuffing all the records into
the database.

And the phone usefully does not provide a way to adjust the
timeout. Which is completely broken and there's nothing we can do
about it.

I've tried to speed this up on the server, and made some progress, but
nowhere near enough; it still takes almost twenty minutes to process
the stupidly huge contacts database. Ultimately it's the wrong
approach anyway, as there will always be a point where the data set is
too large.

I think a hack is called for, to work around this braindamaged
device. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the protocol to figure out
what, but the obvious answer would be to send data back to the phone
before it's all been processed.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |