[sync] Palm Tungsten C, Synthesis, Results, Patches, and Progress

Nathan P Sharp horde at nps.parcellsharp.net
Thu Jun 16 04:55:18 PDT 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Generally helpful, yes. However, for the future, please attach all
>diffs as seperate (text) files, and please read over
>horde/docs/CODING_STANDARDS. It'll be much quicker for us to review
>patches that way. Thanks!
>
>-chuck

Thanks for looking over my patches and incorporating them!  In the
spirit of helping out, I'm resending my patches and files from the
e-mail of 6/10 against an updated CVS (6/16) and with some style guide
fixes in it.

That being said, I do have more results to post, although no more
patches yet.  I was able to figure out the problem with only sending 2
messages of the entire package from the client (some 130 or so items).
The gist is that the server doesn't pay any attention to the fact that
the client is breaking the whole package up into different messages and
goes ahead and sends the response <Sync> tag immediately, even though it
shouldn't.  This prompts the client to add a <Final> tag to the next
(second) message, which quickly ends the session.  By manually
clobbering the sending of a <Sync> tag, I am able to get a "reload
server" type operation to almost run (more later).

What needs to happen is that Horde doesn't ever try to actually do the
sync and return a <Sync> command until it receives the <Final> command.
This may be as simple as moving the return sync code to the Final.php
command handler, I haven't tried yet.

Which brings me to my latest roadblock, performance.  After 1800 or so
items are in my calendar, Horde gets so slow that my Palm turns off the
network due to a timeout before Horde responds, and the client quits
with an error.  I recall seeing a message on this list some time ago
where the developers were aware of the performance problem, so I won't
say too much except that it is probably more critical to me than to most
people.

Thanks again for the great software and the feedback!

  Nathan