[sync] Palm Tungsten E2 with Synthesis.ch client [success!]

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Tue Jun 21 11:48:50 PDT 2005

Well, it helps if you not only install the latest SyncML and XML_WBXML
code, but
actually have the new location installation before your old SyncML and
XML_WBXML location in the PEAR path :)

Using a Tungsten T2 and the latest SyncML and XML_WBXML code, I've
successfully
synced my calendar for the past month, my notes and my tasks.  Deleted
an event
on both sides, added an event on both sides, modified events - most stuff
works.

A couple of edge cases do not work.  The Location field is not coming across
properly, either way.  It just appears to be ignored.  A couple of
other things
are probably not working too, but basic functionality is there!

For the sake of anyone searching the archives, the setup looks something like
this:

Synthesis SyncML client (v2.5.0.30) -> PDA -> USB serial cable -> Powerbook G4
running The Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php) ->
Horde test installation

The Missing Sync allows the Mac to share the serial port by establishing a PPP
connection over the serial cable to the PDA and then uses NAT to share the
Mac's network connection with the PDA.

Bluetooth should also work in place of the USB serial cable - our
challenge here
was to be able to support non-WIFI enabled PDAs.

Also, for the record, it looks like there might be a bug in the Synthesis
client.  Even when I tell it to send a Reload Device (which should generate a
205 Alert from the client to the server), its sending a 201 Alert, which is a
slow sync.  I reported it to Synthesis but haven't heard anything back from
them yet.

All in all, I think I'm well on my way to making this work.  If anyone has
solutions that allow Internet Sharing on a Windows machine, for a PDA, I'd
appreciate hearing about it.  Someone suggested using ActiveSync, but
so far, I
haven't gotten it to recognize my Palm (I think its missing the Made in
Redmond
sticker....)

Kevin

--