[sync] just want to play with syncml

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Jul 19 14:09:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have Horde 3.0.4 installed, and I've read some stuff about Horde and SyncML.
Looking at the timestamps under Horde's SyncML directory and reading
http://lists.horde.org/archives/sync/Week-of-Mon-20050418/000597.html it seems
SyncML in 3.0.4 is rather old and lots of things changed since.

If I just want to play a bit with it, do I need to install entire Horde from
CVS, or I could I just update the SyncML parts (lib/XML/WBXML/DTD/SyncML*,
lib/Horde/SyncML, lib/Horde/RPC/syncml*, anything else?)?  I guess the answer
will be the former, but never hurts to ask ;-)

Also, how usable is the SyncML code as shipped with Horde 3.0.4?  If I just want
to play a bit with it (for example try to sync with Outlook or Palm device), can
I do it with 3.0.4?

Or should I simply fetch 3.0.5-rc2 (or wait for final 3.0.5 that I guess will be
out relatively soon)?

What (if anything) do I need to change in Horde/IMP/Kronolith configuration so
that addressbooks and calendars are synced?

And the final question.  Horde is supposed to play a role of SyncML server, with
other devices syncing through it?  Right?  Wrong?  At least that was the
impression I was getting.  Could Horde also be a client, and sync to some other
SyncML server?

Thanks for having patience with me,
Alex