[sync] Thank you and a couple of minor things

Nathan Sharp horde at nps.parcellsharp.net
Tue Oct 4 03:45:38 PDT 2005

First off, I am very excited to see the activity on this list and in the
code, thank you guys very much for making this project happen (I have
been waiting a long time to be able to sync to a good open source
calendar).  I tried the latest code out of cvs recently against
Synthesis on the Palm Simulator using my large (>2k entries) database to
try out the new performance enhancements that I saw were added.
Unfortunately as of yet I haven't gotten it working again.

First, some of the packages in pear seem to have moved, and I had to
manually remove the old files before I could get it to work very well at
all.  I mention this only so that someone else won't have to search so
long to figure this out.

Second, Synthesis doesn't seem to want to send the password until the
server has specifically requested it.  My authentication back end (IMP)
seems to throw a fatal error if the password is blank, which prevents
SyncML from finishing the request at all, much less requesting
authentication.  I modified SyncML/State.php/isAuthorized() to just
return false without even asking the authentication system if the
password is blank and this let me correctly authenticate and get a bit
farther.  Has no-one else had this problem?

I still haven't gotten it to work, but I haven't been able to debug it
farther yet.  Now that the XML files are no longer generated in
/tmp/sync, it is more difficult to follow what is going on.

Thanks again, and good luck!

  Nathan