[sync] Introduction & Plans to use Horde's SyncML in another project

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Sat May 6 01:56:00 PDT 2006

Hi,

that's great. If you have any questions, just ask (on the list).

In addition to Chuck's explanations here some more info. You need to
deal with the following packages:

SyncML: obviously. Here you need to write your own backend
RPC: this deals with handling the HTTP request, setting up the
          XML ContentHandler and then invoking SyncML
XML_WBXML: this package does the WBXML encoding/decoding
iCalendar: not directly required. This does parsing/exporting in
VCALEDNAR, VCARD format. IMHO interface is quite ,aehh, well not
straightforward. But it's like this for compatibility reasons.

If you want to see what the horde backend code (currently backend.php)
does, you need to look at lib/api.php of turba/nag/mnemo/kronolith.

Hope this helps. I'd very much like it if we can keep the SyncML in one
common CVS. Maybe make a (real) PEAR package from it. The problem with
developing syncml stuff is that there are a lot of different clients
(phones) out there.  As you don't have them all, you rely on other
people for the testing. So the bigger to userbase the better.

If you need any changes in the SyncML external interface to be able to
use the SynCML package "as it is", just let me know. The line where RPC
ends and SyncML starts has to be reworked anyhow.

Cheers,
  Karsten