[sync] Empty CNs with some vCards

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Tue Oct 31 03:53:44 PST 2006

> 2. why is firstname AND lastname mandatory ?

Never said so. I've been referring to the vcard (2.1) specification
from www.imc.org. (http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcard-21.doc)
In a vcard, the "N" attribute specifies the name as follows:

N:last_name;first_name;addidional_names;name_prefix;name_suffix

The N attribute itself is mandatory. However individual fields may be empty.

On the other hand, the FN fields is completly optional.

So if you only have one name field in your database, how would you
deal with an entry

N:Mouse;Mickey;;;
FN:Donald Duck
Would you store Donald or Mickey? Currently Turba stores "Mickey
Mouse" as this is from the mandatory field.
But then, what wouls you store as name for this:
N:;;;;
FN:Donald Duck
Donald or empty? In this case Turba chooses "Donald Duck". An FN value
is better than nothing.

Turbas data fields are completly user configurable. Generally it's
better to have seperate first and last name fields. To do so, see my
post on Oct 15th about "Re: [sync] Syncing Turba contacts"

You could also configure your Turba config so that you have first
name, last name and name (FN, displayname) as three completly seperate
fields.

Cheers,
  Karsten