[sync] What is the reason to keep sync map information?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Sep 12 14:16:40 UTC 2008

Zitat von Stefan Gohmann <gohmann at univention.de>:

> Am Donnerstag, 11. September 2008 schrieb Jan Schneider:
>> Zitat von Stefan Gohmann <gohmann at univention.de>:

>> > we fall into the same trap. I think it is a good idea to erase any
>> > mapping informations or move them to a diffrent table.
>>
>> Well, if you really want to reload the data from the server to the
>> client, then you should use SlowSync or Refresh From Server. In both
>> cases the map is ignored.
>
> Is it correct, that the old map will be used again after the SlowSync? For
> example I have duplicated map entries. Or will the map entries during the
> SlowSync removed?

If I remember correctly off my head, then the map is simply ignored.
That would mean that new mappings are added. This sounds like a bug
though. What is your observation?

> With the SyncML plugin on the BlackBerry I have a menu setting "Force slow
> sync". On other clients for example the Nokia E90 or the Sony Ericsson P1i it
> is more complex.

True. For those case it might make sense to delete the map along with
the anchors. OTOH, you will probably end up with duplicate entries on
the phone if we do that, and I doubt that this would really make any
user happier.

>> Being able to remove sync anchors from the preference screen is really
>> rather for debugging purposes.
>
> Maybe you are right, at the moment we have to delete the map very often
> because we have duplicated map entries during the tests. This is the real
> cause.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/