[sync] Question on syncing

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Nov 24 10:36:27 UTC 2008

Zitat von sjau <sjau at sjau.ch>:

> Hello
>
> I have another question on how the syncing actually works.
>
> Basic idea: the more entries you have, the longer it takes to sync.
> So I think
> you can just sort of move all entries into an archive calendar that are older
> than xxx days.

No, only changed events produce sync traffic. The more you move events
around, the more has to be synchronized. What you are trying to do in
counter productive.

> Because I integrated the google calender entries into kronolith I first wrote
> myself a little php script that just moved all the entries older
> than xxx days
> into a seperatly created archive calendar - basically:
>
> UPDATE * SET calendar_id='......' WHERE calendar_id='......' AND even_end <
> '.......'
>
> I did that for the before the first sync. So the sync went then quickly.
>
> Now I wonder if I could just go on and keep moving entries like that to my
> archive calendar.

There is a maintenance task for exactly that purpose in the most
recent Kronolith version.

> What effect will that have on the syncing? Will it also delete the entries on
> the cell phone? Will they stay on the cell phone? Or will the cell phone sync
> the enries back to the calendar and re-create them?

This will cause all kind of inconsistence data and synchronization state.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/