[sync] Suspect improper installation/activation of ActiveSync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jan 5 16:00:43 UTC 2012

Quoting Christoph Hintermüller <christoph at out-world.com>:

> Hi
> Am Mittwoch 04 Januar 2012, 23:27:39 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>> Re: [sync] Suspect improper installation/activation of ActiveSync
>>  Datum: Gestern 23:27:39
>>  Von: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
>>  An: sync at lists.horde.org
>>
>> I never saw the original email here, see my response below:
>>
> May be cause it was sent before subscription was finished, and it was too
> large.
>> Quoting Christoph Hintermüller <christoph at out-world.com>:
>> > Hi Again
>> > I just forgot to say the device is even listed in horde under ActiveSync
>> > devices but the last synchronization date is set to not synchronized yet.
>> >
>> > Greetings
>> > Christoph Hintermüller

>> ActiveSync will NOT sync existing data from the device to the server.
>> ActiveSync data stores on the device are considered separate from
>> local device data stores. The ActiveSync data store MUST be first
>> paired with with server before you can add contacts to it from the
>> device.
>>
> Thank you for the information.
> 1) How can i than acomplish the pairing on the horde server?

This is done automatically when you create the account on the device.

> 2) How can i acomplish the synchroniation back from the device to the server?

If you mean "How do you sync *existing* device entries back to the
server?" then you can't. As explained before, entries that exist on
the device *before* the account is setup will NOT sync back to the
server.

Once the account is set up, though, anything added to the device will
be synch'd to the server (assuming the entries are added under the
correct account on the device). This is a limitation of the AS
protocol, AS is meant to reflect only the state of the user's Exchange
account.  I have no idea if, on your specific device, there is a way
to import contacts from a SIM card into the AS account once it is set
up. If not, you'd have to create new entries on either the device or
in Horde in order for them to sync under AS.

> Do i have to activate syncml too? Or how is that usually done?

Not unless you want to use syncml. AS and SyncML are two completely
separate protocols. If you can't import the contacts from your SIM
card into the AS account on the device after it's created, and you
don't want to re-add them - then SyncML might be the better choice for
you, though you won't get changes automatically pushed.

>> Not sure what you mean here with your comment about "settings page".
>> Anyway, what is more useful for AS logging is to select device
>> specific sync logging. This is done from the ActiveSync configuration
>> page.
>>
> I meant that on the application configuration page there is no link to the
> ActiveSync configuration page.

It is a section under the "Horde" application.

This information is all available on our wiki, as well.
http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync

> It is also not inidicated as activated
> application. That is why i suspect that I'm still missing some prerequisit
> library, pear module or something went wrong during installation. As a
> consequence i do not have any possibility to turn on the device specific
> logging. So how do i first properly install ActiveSync support on horde. Do i
> have to deinstall my broken ActiveSync horde package first and
> reinstall it or
> would it be sufficient to install any required external library and
> php module
> which would be required for proper operation of ActiveSync. Which libraries
> and packages including the ones from horde would i require?

Since you mention below that your device is listed in the ActiveSync
devices attached to your account, you *do* have everything needed
installed. Otherwise your device would have indicated it was unable to
connect to the server.

>> Nothing attached to this email. This could be why the original email
>> did not make it through the mailing list - the attachment might have
>> been too large/disallowed.
>>
> Yoou are right it was and is still to big. I think i have to get the
> installation right to get the link to the ActiveSync devices specific
> configuration page and thus the installation right (see above).
>>
>> As stated above, it is expected behaviour that information added
>> before the AS account was initiated on the device is not synch'd to
>> the server. Existing entries on the server would get synch'd to the
>> device. Once the device is paired, if you create a new entry on either
>> the device or server, does it get synch'd?
>
> I have not tried yet. Meanwhile i noticed that i had not copied the data from
> the sim to the ActiveSync account. Now i atleast see in horde that
> the devices
> is synchronized. Still the question remains how do check whether I'm missing
> some package or library to get the configuration link working. How do i pair
> the device using horde only?

You don't. Pairing is done by the device when you create the AS
account on the device.

> How do i get the data from the device into horde,

You don't. See above.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)