[sync] ActiveSync troubles

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 5 18:10:15 UTC 2012

Quoting mrubinsk at horde.org:

> Quoting Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>> (by accident posted in
> horde-mailinglist, so reposted in sync)
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I've installed Horde 5.0.0 and ActiveSync 2.0.1.
>>
>> As clients I play around with Samsung Galaxy S (i9000, Android
>> 2.3.5) and a Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300, Android 4.0.4).
>>
>> I tried:
>>
>> $conf[activesync][emailsync]=true
>> $conf[activesync][version]=12.1
>> Neither i9000 nor i9300 work - they can successfully set up the
>> account, but no data is synced, nothing (besides the initial
>> connection) is logged in ActiveSync log on horde server.
>>
>> $conf[activesync][emailsync]=true
>> $conf[activesync][version]=12
>> i9000 same as with 12.1. i9300 works as expected.
>>
>> $conf[activesync][emailsync]=true
>> $conf[activesync][version]=2.5
>> i9000 same as with 12.1. i9300 works as expected.
>>
>> $conf[activesync][emailsync]=false
>> $conf[activesync][version]=2.5
>> i9000 works and i9300 works but no email is synched (as expected).
>>

>> In settings there's: "All versions are backwards compatible" so
>> this seems not correct behaviour to me.
>>
>> Any information on whar I might miss?
>>
>> regards
>> Lukas
>>

>> --
>>
>> --------------------------
>> software security networks
>> Lukas Gradl <horde#ssn.at>
>> Eduard-Bodem-Gasse 6
>> A - 6020 Innsbruck
>> Tel: +43-512-214040-0
>> Fax: +43-512-214040-21
>> --------------------------
>>
>> --
>>
>> --------------------------
>> software security networks
>> Lukas Gradl <horde#ssn.at>
>> Eduard-Bodem-Gasse 6
>> A - 6020 Innsbruck
>> Tel: +43-512-214040-0
>> Fax: +43-512-214040-21
>>
> .and the answer is still the same. I will need a sync log or wire
> trace to see what is wrong.
>
> I can tell you that all my android devices work correctly (in so far
> as they support) all of the horde supported EAS versions.
>
> They are backwards compatible in the sense that selecting a  newer
> version does not prevent clients that only support older versions
> from connecting, as long as the client correctly identifies its
> supported versions.

Can you try updating to the latest Horde/ActiveSync package and trying
this now? I think you were hitting up against the sync_cache's data
field size in the database due to the large (over 3000!) mail folders.
The sync_cache is only used in EAS 12.1 and above, so that explains
why this only broke when using the newer version.

There were some other oddities in the log, but they are just poorly
implemented protocol handling in the client and (hopefully) shouldn't
cause any problems other than wasted bandwidth.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org