[sync] contact dates of birth are time-shifted by one day to the past when syncing from horde to mobile

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Apr 6 13:38:19 UTC 2013

Quoting "lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de" <lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de>:

> Am 05.04.2013 21:51, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>> ..because the protocol *requires* all datetime fields to be
>> transmitted as UTC and the phone converts back to whatever timezone
>> the phone is set to use. The issue is with the protocol (or more
>> accurately, how 99% of clients interpret the protocol) - birthdays
>> occupy the entire day but the protocol is expected to transmit a full
>> datetime. This would be fine if both the client and the server would
>> agree on a specific time of day to always transmit a birthday e.g.,
>> 12:00 UTC... but they don't so what works for one client, in one
>> timezone, could be broken for the rest of the world.
>
> Thanks again Mike. That clears up a few of my questions.
> But I need to get more into it, because i am still wondering why its
> working fine with calendar events but not birthdays.
> Thank you for your time.

It works for calendar events because they begin and end at a discreet
time. Even "full day" events in the calendar have a defined start and
end time - as well as a flag for indicating to the client that it's a
full day event. Birthdays, on the other hand, have neither. This is
way it's a problem that the protocol requires that the birthday be a
full UTC datetime field (containing both the date and the time
component) while it doesn't specify what specific time birthdays
should set the time component to.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)