[sync] contact dates of birth are time-shifted by one day to the past when syncing from horde to mobile

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:59:32 UTC 2013

On 6 Apr 2013 15:38, "Michael J Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting "lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de" <lists.horde.org at pqaudio.de>:
>
>> Am 05.04.2013 21:51, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>>>
>>> ..because the protocol *requires* all datetime fields to be
>>> transmitted as UTC and the phone converts back to whatever timezone
>>> the phone is set to use. The issue is with the protocol (or more
>>> accurately, how 99% of clients interpret the protocol) - birthdays
>>> occupy the entire day but the protocol is expected to transmit a full
>>> datetime. This would be fine if both the client and the server would
>>> agree on a specific time of day to always transmit a birthday e.g.,
>>> 12:00 UTC... but they don't so what works for one client, in one
>>> timezone, could be broken for the rest of the world.
>>

>> Thanks again Mike. That clears up a few of my questions.
>> But I need to get more into it, because i am still wondering why its
>> working fine with calendar events but not birthdays.
>> Thank you for your time.
>

> It works for calendar events because they begin and end at a discreet
time. Even "full day" events in the calendar have a defined start and end
time - as well as a flag for indicating to the client that it's a full day
event. Birthdays, on the other hand, have neither. This is way it's a
problem that the protocol requires that the birthday be a full UTC datetime
field (containing both the date and the time component) while it doesn't
specify what specific time birthdays should set the time component to.

Can the application not simply make the decision to put 00:00:00?

Simon