[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Sep 17 15:47:15 UTC 2014

> Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:
>
>> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>
>>> Oh. You are talking about contact lists. I had misread your
>>> question to be about address books. ActiveSync does not support
>>> contact lists in personal address books. When we can do, and I've
>>> seen some other implementations do, is to translate the name of
>>> the contact list into an ActiveSync category name and dynamically
>>> add this category to any contact contained in the list. Not sure
>>> off hand how resource intensive (or how much work this would be to
>>> implement) this will be though.
>>
>> Thank you for the explanation. That explains the personal address
>> book contact lists.
>>
>>> Exchange Distribution lists, however, ARE supported via ActiveSync
>>> but only when searching the GAL. Turba *should* correctly handle
>>> this case.
>>
>> I've put a test group in my GAL now and when I start typing in the
>> name in my mobile device's client I can see it searching and it
>> finds the list. However, it only retrieves one email address from
>> the list (my email address), when there are two entries in the LDAP
>> record (me and my test user). If I send the email anyway, only I
>> get the test message.
>>
>> IMP still works fine, and I can manually retrieve the complete LDAP
>> entry using my credentials through the 'ldapsearch' CLI. I've
>> turned on 'detailed' logging for ActvieSync, but the log file
>> doesn't (apparently) show me exactly what it's getting back from
>> the search with respect to email addresses. I just see this:
>> 2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O       <GAL:EmailAddress>
>> 2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O        [70 bytes of content]
>> 2014-09-16T14:41:06+01:00 DEBUG: [5682] O       </GAL:EmailAddress>
>>
>> I've tried swapping the order around in the LDAP entry (taking care
>> with the string-length field) but ActiveSync is still not getting
>> the other email address out of it.
>>
>> What else can I try?
>
> I'll have to take a more detailed look at this when I'm back in my
> office this week.

Not sure what to tell you. I can't reproduce either of these things. I
see every person in the contact list with an email address, and I also
see the full data in the log when detailed logging is enabled.

The fact that 70 bytes are being sent tells me it's likely more than a
single email address though, so maybe this is a client issue? If you
can't get the logging to work, you can try wiretracing it to see the
data.

--
mike
The Horde Project