[sync] ActiveSync RequireDeviceEncryption policy

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 21:59:23 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I've recently enabled RequireDeviceEncryption for all my ActiveSync
users. All went well with encrypting the devices until two days later
when my Nine Android client stopped syncing.

I've narrowed it down to the Nine client needing to be connected to my
activesync's network via VPN or physically on-site. I tested this by
removing the account from my phone and trying to re-add it. I was only
able to re-add it whilst on the same subnet as my EAS server (via VPN
or physically).

Looking through my activesync logs I can see iOS and Android devices
syncing properly still.

Does enabling RequireDeviceEncrytion imply the device will only sync
whilst on the server's subnet, or is this a mis-interpretation of the
EAS client?

Many thanks,

Tim