[sync] Outlook 2013 Seemingly Random Duplicate Emails using ActiveSync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri May 15 14:54:45 UTC 2015

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 15 May 2015, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>> Please provide the full synclog. Hatd to comment without any context.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I've sent this to you direct as it's quite large and contains
> emails/subject lines I don't really want on list archives. I grep'd
> the log file with this:
> 2015-05-15T08:0
>
> .. in an effort to get useful information out of a ~900Mb log.
>
> One of the duplicate emails has a message ID that contains the string:
> 000001d08edd
>
> Time stamps for the two entries are:
> 2015-05-15T08:08:58+01:00
> 2015-05-15T08:09:35+01:00
>
> Upon further user-interrogation, I've discovered that this duplicate
> email issue only occurs when Outlook is started up in the morning
> and does it's initial sync. Whilst Outlook is running normally
> during the day, no duplicate emails appear. It's only in the morning
> when the PC/Outlook is turned on, and then it's not every message it
> happens to.
>
> It's very odd!

It's related to the MOREAVAILABLE functionality. If you look at the
group of messages the first time the message is sent, you'll see that
it's the last 4 messages that are sent again in the following request
that says it is sending messages remaining from the previous sync. For
some reason, the state isn't being updated to reflect that it was
already sent, or for some reason the message UID is returned twice
from the IMAP server and we don't detect that.

Either way, the log was helpful. I'll look into it when I'm back in
front of my dev box and have the time.

--
mike
The Horde Project