[sync] Outlook 2013 sync recovery after server down

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jun 9 16:22:02 UTC 2015

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>> Yes. OL doesn't seem to respond to the standard error code that
>> triggers a resync in this case, and I have yet to find a code that
>> works for OL that also works for everyone else.
>
> According to my ActiveSync Devices page, the version number of the
> Outlook client differs as to whether or not it will partially resync.
>
> All the PCs are set to auto-update every night, and all have the
> same copy of Office2013 installed, yet users with "Outlook/15.0
> (15.0.4569.1505; MSI; x86)" against their ActiveSync profile are
> unable to resync after any communications error, and users with
> "Outlook/15.0 (15.0.4719.1000; MSI; x86)" are able to sync emails
> but not calendar.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help find the ActiveSync resync
> command for Outlook 2013?

Given that more recent versions are acting at least closer to the way
they should points towards this being a bug in OL. We already send the
correct status codes per the ActiveSync protocol specification.

If you want to try to play around with different status codes
yourself, you can find descriptions of them, and details on when to
use them, in Microsoft's protocol document, MS-ASCMD (or something
like that, don't have the PDF  in front of me).

We send the status codes in various places related to conveying the
need for client state resets- you should look in
Horde_ActiveSync_Request_Sync, _Ping, and possibly _FolderSync
depending on the exact request that OL is making when the reset is
detected. The status codes specific to he request type are defined at
the top of each of those files, and global status codes are defined in
Horde_ActiveSync_Status. Also note that different EAS versions may
require different error responses, with the earlier versions requiring
simple HTTP status codes vs the more recent versions which use more of
the above mentioned status codes returned as part of the WBXML response.

--
mike
The Horde Project