[thor] Re: Hermes exports

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Sun Apr 4 08:09:45 PDT 2004

Quoting Tarjei Huse <tarjei at nu.no>:

> Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:
>
>> Quoting Tarjei Huse <tarjei at nu.no>:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've been tinkering a bit with hermes/search.php in an effort to get the
>> > exports working. Here's a quick patch.
>>
>> No patch was attached.
> I've mailed it to you now. Sorry about that, I had to run.
>
>> I'm glad you like the new interface.  I'm cleaning up the interface
>> some more--
>>   I'm making a common Horde_UI_Table:: class to render tables like the
>> search
>> results.  It will have an export icon in the header, and there will be some
>> standard Horde code for exports of these, including choosing which fields,
>> whether to show headers, what to sort and group by.  Perhaps eventually
>> saving
>> export profiles.  Well, that may a bit ambitious; my immediate goal is to
>> get
>> Horde_UI_Table:: working with the export icon.
> Looks good.
>> > Also, my firm is considering different invoicing solutions at the
>> > moment. One is to use Horde. To be able to do that, we'll need to be
>> > able to add hours to projects as well as  clients, and also to be able
>> > to define different prices for different hours in different currencys.
>> Have you looked at thor?  It is a Horde application in it's early stages
>> (but still useful).  One of it's goals is to fill the Microsoft Project
> space.
>
>> We plan to use it here, and one of my task-list items is to allow selection
> of
>> a thor project to bill to if thor is configured.
> Nice, that's what I need.
>
>> I'm not sure how different currencies would work, since I don't deal with
>> different ones much, but I'd be happy to see hermes support them.
> I would guess that we could just add an extra field to hermes and have a
> config-option if it should be used. I can probably supply some code.
>
>> > There's a lot more to it than that, but if you think it sounds cool to
>> > let hermes go in this direction, I would like to do some of the work. If
>> > not, I'll have to find another app for the job.
>
>> Look at hermes/doc/TODO for more ideas of what I have planned.  I don't have
>> access to it right now, but I think I put everything from our internal
>> software roadmap in there.
> That looks like stuff I want. However, I would like to add some:
>
> Wrt. thor:
> * Make it possible to add/remove the different descriptive fields for each
> project as the project stuff is very programming development oriented
> now - it
> should be more generic.

We had some discussions about this, resulting in a couple ideas.  One was a
container-type approach where a project could contain objects (which could be
extra attributes, sub-projects, resources, documents, etc).

> wrt to hermes and thor:
> * Add a framework for defining reports and searches that may be used by
> managers
> and others to generate and export different reports to excel and pdf.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean now, but I've tossed around the idea of a
generic reporting tool where apps can export some sort of data schema
via APIs.
I've not thought about it seriously, though.

> wrt hermes:
> * Add some way to create an invoice, edit the figures (delete a comment etc)
> generate a pdf of the invoice and store it somewhere.
>
> This is of course on top of the different things you mentioned in the hermes
> and
> thot todo docs. For me the most important part is to get hermes in a state
> where it is possible to export reports so it is possible to use it for
> timetracking.
>
> As such, what kind of timeline are we looking at wrt. hermes and thor?

The best I can say is "when I get to it."  Carlos is the brain behind thor
(although I've volunteered to do some of the work), you'll have to ask him.
There is a thor list.

--
  Jason M. Felice
  Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com>