[turba] turba 1.0 - addressbook import script

Scott Kearney skearney@fas.harvard.edu
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:07:18 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to write a script to import pine addressbooks directly into
Turba's database table, but I'm staring a bit at the object_id field. I
looked at the imp2turba.pl conversion script, and it looks like that's
just generating random 30 character strings, is this true? What method
does Turba itself use to generate those keys? Does it really matter what
I insert as a record's object_id, as long as it does not duplicate
anything already in the table? And also, while I'm on a roll, the
imp2turba.pl does not appear to check to make sure that a object_id does
not duplicate an existing object_id, am I wrong about this? And does
Turba make this sort of check? I realize the odds of a duplicate are
slim, but a simple check here could prevent the unlikely overwriting of
what potentially could be an important address entry.

It won't happen until it's super important, I'm sure. Normal address
entries easily reproduced never get overwritten.

-Scott Kearney