[turba] Turba re-queries LDAP w/ Back Button

Matthew Hilty mhilty@artic.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:45:05 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
	While testing the functionality and performance of what is
arguably one of the finest web-based mail applications in existence(IMP
3.1), I noticed that, in some cases, the Turba contact management
application queries the LDAP server each time that a page containing a
list of entries is "hit" by the browser, instead of caching the results as
HTML.  In one sense, this behavior is desirable, especially if the LDAP
entries change frequently, because it guarantees a fresh look at the LDAP
data.  However, in situation where the data doesn't change often (Name,
email addy, for instance) this could lead to unnecessary wear and tear on
the LDAP server.
	For example, if I search for all the people with the last
name "Miller", a surprising number of results might appear...then, I
continue using IMP, or checking other contacts in my SQL-based address
book, going to the import/export interface.  If I use my broswer's back
button, or even select the Address Book icon from another page, I'm taken
back to the results that I've been accumulating (unless I select "Clear
Search") the LDAP query for my most recent search is submitted again in
many cases.  It does not happen all the time, making me wonder how Turba
is 'deciding' to resubmit the LDAP query in these different scenarios.  It
seems to subside after a while, leaving the search results as cached HTML,
but prior to this, the cn=*Miller* query gets re-submitted just to provide
the same results again.  I know this must sound convoluted, but any ideas
from people who have noticed the same would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Hilty