[turba] Performance of turba with very large Address Book

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:16:19 -0400

Hi Olivier,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:33:41PM +0100, Oliver Schönrock wrote:
> - the relatively complex OO code that generates each line

It was my intuition too.

> - the fact that each record contains not just the data displayed but also a
> fully serialised copy of the Turba_Contact object. This allows multistage
> searches to include the results from previous searches.

I'm actually taking advantage of this for special function I built for
my client.  It's quite handy.

> - The checkbox selection Javascript is very inefficient for size

I'll be investigating that.

> It would be easy to write a specific script for a complete listing of
> addreses which only supports SQL and doesn't save the search results in the
> HTML page (the latter is kind of lame anyway from an architectural pov in
> my humble opinion).

Right now, this is what I plan on doing as Band-Aid solution.  I will
probably show nothing from an empty search and have another button
labelled "All" to show the entire list (maybe in a second window, TBD).

> Of course this would kill the flexibility, entensibility, reusability and
> maintainability of the code. But you can't have everything....!

Hey!  But so are my other mod.  I can live with that.

> Do people really want to scroll through lists of 2000 people? IE gets
> sluggish at about 300 already (which is a 600kb page!) Opera is Ok for a
> bit more, but 2000???

The client is a mysterious thing sometime ... ;)  Seriously, they will
have to make compromise at some point.  I'll probably break in chunk of

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853