[turba] Turba and adressbook on DB Postgres and connexion not closed

Rick Emery rick@emery.2y.net
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:00:27 -0400

Quoting Philippe Grevet <grevet@evry.inra.fr>:

> Hello,
> My problem :
> When i use the adressbook who is on Postgres (on a different server), the
> connexion with the DB is'nt closed when i quit IMP, and I see with netstat
> serveur DB Postgres :
> =====================
> tcp 0 0 watson.....in:postgres mendel.......f:2363 ESTABLISHED
> Client webmail :
> ===============
> tcp 0 0 mendel.....f:2363 watson:postgres ESTABLISHED
>
> Installation :
> RedHat 7.0
> php-4.1.2-7.0.4
> Pear-4.1.0
> Horde-2.1
> IMP-3.1
> Turba-1.1
>
> RedHat 7.0Authentification : pop3
>
> Insertion, creation and deletion or import or export are ok
> But there is only this problem of connexion not closed
> And after a moment it's impossible to use the adressbook because there are
> too
> much open connexion with the DB.
> In horde.log this message :
> sep 27 10:29:37 HORDE [emergency] [turba] Impossible de charger la
> d\351finition
> de Turba_Driver_. [on line 44 of
> "/home/www/urgv/htdocs/webmail/horde/turba/lib
> /Driver.php"]
> I see the function close ()
> in the /horde/turba/lib/Drivers/sql.php ....
> And specific module in /usr/share/pear/DB/../pgsql.php
> But i'm not an expert in php
>
> Who can help me
> Thanks

With the CVS HEAD version, I had a similar problem to this. When I had
PostgreSQL for my database backend, I would notice processes being continually
spawned in the OS making connections to the database. When 32 processes were
running (though all showed IDLE), there would be 32 connections (max allowed)
and Horde would stop working (couldn't connect to the database). A friend of
mine started using HEAD and had exactly the same problem; he had been running
release versions and didn't see this before. We both switched to MySQL for the
backend and things seem better.

Is there a bug in the way postgres is being used? I also realize that, in
running the HEAD version, we both had to upgrade to PHP-4.2.2 (from PHP-4.1.2),
so maybe the bug is in PHP? Is anyone successfully using postgres for the
database backend that isn't seeing this (numerous connections open that don't
seem to close)?

I tried to troubleshoot it, but couldn't find a pattern. There were times that
I could log into Horde and leave the summary screen displayed; The summary
screen would refresh (I have it set to every minute), and after a short time
would have 32 processes with connections to the database. Other times, it
wouldn't happen. I couldn't reproduce the problem reliably 100% of the time, so
I posted a message to the list, switched to MySQL, and forgot about it.

However, my friend saw this behavior and now this person is seeing something
similar, so I thought it was worth posting again. I'm happy with MySQL now, so
am not too worried about it, but others using postgres might be having similar
problems.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Rick