[turba] IMP ldap prefs/Turba personal ldap addresses

Lee lee at disinfo.com
Sat Dec 14 13:51:55 PST 2002

I believe rootdn has read write access to everything automatically. Im
not sure why it is having problems. Regardless, you really shouldnt be
using rootdn for ispman. If the ispman server is ever comprimised the
intruder will have full access to the entire directory. Your much
better off creating a new account (simple inetOrgPerson) that has read
/ write access ONLY to those entries which is absolutely needs.

Something else to remember, when you add a new ACL rule (say allowing
users to read or write something) you also have to say allow all other
accounts that you want to be able to touch that entry to have the
applicative permissions on this entry also.

i.e.

If you add:

access to dn=".*ou=addressbook,(uid=.+),ou=users,dc=ourcompany,dc=com"
        by dn="$1,ou=users,dc=ourcompany,dc=com" write

Now only dn=...., ou=users,dc=ourcompany,dc=com will have specified
access to that entry.

Instead you should more likely add:

access to dn=".*ou=addressbook,(uid=.+),ou=users,dc=ourcompany,dc=com"
        by dn="$1,ou=users,dc=ourcompany,dc=com" write
        by someotheraccount,dc=com read
        by anotheraccount,ou=users,dc=com write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none

Obviously all of the above is conditioned on what your other rules say.

Lee