[turba] Re: LDAP seach through turba is slow

S. Yoder yodersj at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 10 17:09:30 PST 2003

More information.

Tonight I turned on LDAP logging (level 256 to see connections, operations,
and results) and I am now seeing a bit more as to what is going on.

When searching via the "Address Book", via Imp Compose, for a query I know
will return only one hit the log shows:
- bind
- search for the requested name using the sources.php base
- search for the sources.php filter using the dn of the result from the
previous search.
- unbind

When searching via turba using that same query the log shows:
- bind
- search for the requested name using the sources.php base (scope=2)
- search for the sources.php filter using the dn of the result from the
previous search (scope=0)
- unbind
- bind
- search for the sources.php filter using the sources.php base (scope=2)
- same search (scope=0)
- a search on each dn returned from above for the sources.php filter (scope=0)
[That's 2500 searches!]
- a search for the sources.php filter using the dn of the result returned from
the first bind
- unbind

And 6 minutes later the browser displays the results. [P350, IDE disks, only a
test machine]

I'd say the search on each dn of every entry in the defined base shouldn't be
happening. I can understand maybe the browse page doing this if it is not set
to return only X number of items, but not on a search request.

Could somebody fix this? I'd have a lot more to learn about PHP before I even
started.

Thanks,
Stef
ps. raw ldap logs available if needed