[turba] couple things

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jan 13 21:40:23 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:
>
> > Ummm, I don't think this belongs in the LDAP driver, although maybe I
> > misunderstand how the Turba code works.  The "$" only means "newline" in
> > the context of a postal address attribute.  For other ldap attributes, a
> > dollar sign should just be treated as a normal character, no need to
> > escape.  Also, the "$" as a newline character is just a convention.  The
> > LDAP server does not interpret the "$" as any special when it is storing
> > it or sending the value to the client.  The client is responsible for
> > treating a "$" as a newline character.
>
> Ah. Is this a consistent convention? Can we expect other reasonable clients
> to obey this? Or is this just a "some people think it's a good idea" convention?
>
> -chuck

The "$" is a defined syntax in RFC2252:

6.27. Postal Address

   ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.41 DESC 'Postal Address' )

Values in this syntax are encoded according to the following BNF:

      postal-address = dstring *( "$" dstring )

   In the above, each dstring component of a postal address value is
   encoded as a value of type Directory String syntax.  Backslashes and
   dollar characters, if they occur in the component, are quoted as
   described in section 4.3.   Many servers limit the postal address to
   six lines of up to thirty characters.

   Example:

      1234 Main St.$Anytown, CA 12345$USA
      \241,000,000 Sweepstakes$PO Box 1000000$Anytown, CA 12345$USA

This applies to all attributes of syntax 'Postal Address', which may
include more than just the postalAddress attribute.  Now, whether all
clients are smart enough to follow this convention...  :)

	Andy