[turba] Turba API

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Jan 22 22:49:52 PST 2003

Quoting Jeroen Huinink <j.huinink at wanadoo.nl>:

> I am thinking about closely integration Turba and  Kronolith, Nag and
> Mnemo. It is my intention to allow users to add a turba contact reference
> to events, tasks and notes and in the calendar, tasklist and notes
> applications and to allow users to view all applicable events, tasks and
> notes through links in Turba.

Sounds useful!

> I think Horde is a nice framework, but I really mis closer integration
> between the different applications and this would, IMO, be a nice
> addition to it.

Well, we've been building the framework for a while. Now we - and folks like
you - can start actually building things on top of it all, which is what
this would be.

> While I wanted to get started on this work I investigated the current API
> in turba cvs HEAD and I noticed that most API's use address and
> addressbooks to identify (a) contact(s) in Turba. Only the show API uses
> the source,key to identify a contact. What is the rationel behind this?
> What I would like to have is at least a (variant) API that allows me to
> uniquely identify a contact through the source,key combination. I have
> been thinking about adding an optional key field to the current APIs and
> then demand that the addressbooks parameter array contain only one
> element, but that feels like a bloody hack to me. I am willing to put some
> effort into this, but I need some guidance as to how you think the API
> should work.

It's that way because most of the apis were designed from the viewpoint of
IMP, which has email addresses and wants to do things with them. Alternate
methods - getFieldByKey(), for example - would be fine.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
must ... find ... acorns ... *thud*