[turba] turba w/o a database

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:53:13 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 rodneys at lodging.com wrote:

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan at studiesabroad.com>:
>
> It say in the readme, not required:
>
> The following are not required, but are strongly recommended:
>
>   1. SQL and/or LDAP support in PHP.
>
>      Turba can store its contacts entries in either an SQL or an
>      LDAP database, and can query public (read-only) LDAP databases
>      for contacts as well. Build PHP with whichever LDAP or SQL
>      drivers you require; see the Horde INSTALL file for details

Okay, I think I understand.  You don't need to run your own SQL or LDAP
server, if you intend to use the publicly available LDAP servers on the
Internet.  These are read-only though, so your users won't have a way to
store their own address book entries.  You will still need to have LDAP
and/or SQL support in PHP though.

If you want your users to have their own address book entries, you should
probably run a SQL server.  Setting up MySQL is fairly simple, and it
won't add hardly any additional load to the server in a lightly used Turba
setup.

	Andy