[turba] modifications

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Feb 18 22:05:51 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:
>
> > - paging and/or rolodex - i've found that having address books with 1000+
> > names, and hitting the "browse" button can crash both the browser and
> > apache. my one problem is ldap, been trying to figure that out a bit
> > lately to see exactly what can be done in both ldap and sql, and what
> > needs to be manipulated in php. but was thinking of putting in that only
> > an X number of records are returned per page, and page navigation set up.
> > the other suggestion that Jan made was to develop the rolodex extension
> > to the ListView. again some paging would be needed, the 1000+ system that
> > is causing me the problems has 290 first letter "B" contacts...
>
> Paging and a rolodex style would both be great to have.

Some LDAP servers (iPlanet/Sun, for one) support a "virtual list view" or
sometimes called a "browsing index".  This lets you specify a search
filter and specify a certain range of entries from the result set.  So you
might have a search filter of (cn=b*) and specify that you want entries
1-100.  Then you do the same search and specify entries 101-200, etc.

This is basically the only sane way to browse a very large number of LDAP
entries, if you can't do a narrower search.

If this sounds useful, I'd be willing to investigate if it is possible to
use virtual list views from php.

	Andy