[turba] __type attribute for LDAP

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Mar 13 16:38:44 PST 2003

>>No, I think someone on the Horde team needs to define this schema.  It is
>>there OID space,  everything else is just a local hack.
>The us/them distinction you draw here, and I think in other posts, makes no
>sense to me. This is an open source project. Some of us direct things, yes,
>but for the most part, we're happier the more people contribute, not the
>more we do things ourselves. I have a zillion things I'd love to work on,
>and I'm thrilled when someone sends me a good patch for one of them first!

Ok.  I'm assuming that .16 and .17 are the next available object OID values by
looking at the distributed horde.schema file.

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.13040.1.2.4.16
        NAME 'turbaMembers'
        DESC 'Members of a Turba Group'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{4000} )

I made it "{4000}" since that is the size of the members field provided in the
PostgreSQL database scripts.

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.13040.1.2.4.17
        NAME 'turbaType'
        DESC 'Distinguishes between a Contact object and a Group object'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{8} )

I haven't used the preferences based address books, but from a glance I
guesstimate that one will need to add turbaMembers and turbaType to hordePerson.

How to enable turbaType functionality on objects not specific to Turba is a bit
more interesting.  I can see adding this to some objects, but if it in not
applied to every contact object in the Dit (Directory Information Tree) one
might have a source where "__type" is defined and returns (Contact/Group) on
some objects and is null/blank on others that don't possess these attributes.

Since contact-ish objects in a Dit are very possible created by a multitude of
sources (other e-mail clients, CRM systems, HR department, etc...) it is very
likely that the Turba attributes will not be universally present.

Ideally, for LDAP sources, Turba would assume "Contact" if a "__type" field was
defined but returned blank.    I presume that would involve creating a patch.

>I'm not an LDAP expert. None of the other core developers are, either.
>Myself and I'm sure a few others would like to pick it up, but again, time.
>I went out and registered the OID to try and make things easier for Turba
>LDAP users. So someone needs to put something forward to the list. I'm sure

Ok.  I am an LDAP expert, I guess.  Usually people are viciously protective of
their schema/OID space.

Is all of the schema for all the horde projects stored in the central
horde.schema file?