[turba] Turba changing contact name

chris at wilber.me.uk chris at wilber.me.uk
Fri Apr 4 17:23:17 PST 2003

Thanks for quick response.

> Quoting chris at wilber.me.uk:
>
> > Let's say that the first one has a middle initial, so I edit that record
> > and make it John R Smith.
> > Now I come to add the new John Smith and I can't.
> > Now I am not sure of terminology here so bear with me. I would have
> > expected that if we change dn as I have done here, then this should be a
> > move in ldap rather than an update.
>
> Quite possibly, but this is not what we do. If this is the right behavior, a
> patch for it would be great.

OK I have not done any php, but have been itching to try.
To be clear, this is what happens at the moment. After editing name,end up with:
dn: cn=John Smith,ou=personal_addressbook,uid=chris,ou=Users,o=Schoolhouse
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
cn: John R Smith
mail: john.smith at company.com

In other words mismatch in cn and so now if I try an add another John Smith I can't.

> > Perhaps a mechanism to achieve this is to have a flag in the
> > configuration files that identifies the field as a component of the rdn so
> > that any changes to thoise fields results in a move rather than an update.
>
> The 'dn' array in the LDAP params should take care of this, yes?
I have experimented and I am not really sure what tbis does ;-). Does it just
identify how the dn is made up? So in my case from above it should be:
'dn' => array('cn','ou','uid','ou','o') ?
It doesn't seem to matter what I put in here. What is it used for?

> > One last thing, in setting up LDAP Turba, I noticed a fair number of
> > questions on how to achieve a working setup. If anyone thinks it would be
> > useful, I am willing to write up what I did, and also provide a sample
> > slpad.conf, sample LDIF and sample turba configuration files.
>
> That would be great - make sure you look at what we have in CVS HEAD for
> Turba, but more documentation certainly can't hurt!

Will do. Also I have it all working under Windows too, including openldap, so I
will write that up too as I have aseen a fair number of questions on that too.
I will see what I can write up this weekend.