[turba] Turba changing contact name

Tom Redfern thos at fonebone.net
Wed Apr 9 10:01:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:51:15PM +0100, chris at wilber.me.uk wrote:

This is an old primary key problem is the db business.  I'm working
with a similar problem.  I would suggest that one solution would be to
create an attribute (like uid) which is simply guaranteed to be unique
and use that for the dn:

dn: uid=1,ou=...

That uid can simply be a count.  It doesn't have to be the same as the
uid for a user.

This would leave the user free to change the cn.

> I have looked through FAQ and mailing lists and either because it wasn't there
> or because I didn't look carefully enough I haven't seen this raised before.
> I am referring to personal addressbooks in LDAP
> I add a contact - John Smith.
> Then later I need to add another John Smith.
> Let's say that the first one has a middle initial, so I edit that record and
> make it John R Smith.
> Now I come to add the new John Smith and I can't.
> Now I am not sure of terminology here so bear with me. I would have expected
> that if we the rdn as I have done here, then this should be a move in ldap
> rather than an update.
> Perhaps a mechanism to achieve this is to have a flag in the configuration files
> that identifies the field as a component of the rdn so that any changes to
> thoise fields results in a move rather than an update.
> Congratulations on a superb product by the way.
> One last thing, in setting up LDAP Turba, I noticed a fair number of questions
> on how to achieve a working setup. If anyone thinks it would be useful, I am
> willing to write up what I did, and also provide a sample slpad.conf, sample
> LDIF and sample turba configuration files.
> regards
> Chris Wilber

* Tom Redfern | Address:    Box 21 Snoqualmie  WA 98065-0021     USA *
*             | Email:      thos at fonebone.net  Phone: (425) 888-7080 *
*             | Recommended Reading List: www.fonebone.net/booklist  *