[turba] Re: Groups and objects was: Exporting Lists ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Jun 30 15:15:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Jan Schneider wrote:

> > > Sorry, I lost you here.
> >
> > Create two addresses in yoru address book, create a simple list that
> > includes both of those addresses .. then export your address book and
> > re-import it on a different machine ... your list is created, but has no
> > members ...
>
> Ah, I see. But I think that makes sense, because how should other programs
> than Turba know what a list is and how to handle it?

I'm more looking at it from a backup-n-recovery point of view ... or an
employee leaving a company but wishing to be able to take thei addressbook
with them ...

> But I'm not sure if it makes sense that groups/lists are still objects
> like any other entry in Turba. I don't speak about the storage, but I
> don't know if it's useful or rather irritating that you can add a phone
> number or an email address to a list. There is no place where this
> address will be used. Perhaps we should offer only a limited set of
> fields for lists. Or even only a name field.

why not move the lists stuff to a turba_lists table .. if object_type ==
Group, you'd look up that list over in the other table?

turba_lists would have multi-rows per list, one per person on said list
that was just owner_id, object_id, object_member ... or something like
that?