[turba] Editing LDAP entries?

cpickert cpickert at myrgroup.us
Thu Jul 10 11:42:17 PDT 2003

Maybe I've totally missed the point.. I'm attempting this with a public/shared
LDAP directory which uses a single, privlidged account as it's basedn. I can
add entries (and now, Lists/Groups) but my map array doesn't use __owner, as I
was having issues in that the owner was attempting to be set to user at domainname
and was giving me 'invalid per syntax' in slapd (with schemacheck off and on.
ANYWAYS, so, does the editing deal only with private LDAP books? Also, is it
tied to '__owner' based privlidges or just the LDAP basedn's acl? And, if it
is, how can I fix the __owner strings to only be 'username'? (I may've
accidently caused this behaviour, I suppose but, for instance I also have to
change the admin array in horde's conf.php to my full username at domainname) -
Which is obviously in the design, only admin's can edit/delete from public
books, eventhough everyone can add.

Well, upon looking at the sources.php before sending, I didn't have my
username at domainname in the admin array in my sources (as i mentioned before, i
DID have it in the horde/conf.php but, not in my sources.php.) and upon adding
the @dominname to the array.. The edit/delete work like a champ so..

The reasoning for the fact usernames are full email addr's is simply becauase
IMP is my auth backend.. Which makes plenty sense.. Just maddening since I've
missed it for this long, but I'm happy since all of the other config stuff is
A-OK, as I've thought it's been the whole time..

But, it raises a few other questions/issues..

Since the __owner is being passed to ldap as full username at hostname when using
IMP->IMAP auth backend for all of horde, and since openldap errors out with
invalid syntax on this and I've removed it, I've no owner to associate. Which
is really fine for the public directory system but, what is the __owner
behaviour like for private books.. The basedn is determined by a getAuth() call
but.. I'd assume the __owner field is handled correctly..

This may all be in vain as the sources.php.dist doesn't contain an __owner field
in it's map and it works just fine without it in my situation..
Also, as private books are stored in a separate ou for each user, an __owner
field is not necessary.

I know this message was somewhat of a brainstorm, just thoughts pouring out..
Sorry..
It might, though, prove userful for someone else to hear my trials and
tribulations =)

Thanks again!

sources.php ->
'map' => array(