[turba] how wrong is this?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Oct 17 09:06:53 PDT 2003

the instructions for creating tables in the horde database are woefully
inadequate.  When you go to the postgresql script you are given the instructions:

-- You can simply execute this file in your database.
--
-- Run as:
--

which leaves me scratching my chin and wonder what "simply executing this filing
your database" means.  I thought database is stored data.  so I try the command

[root at relay2 drivers]# psql -d pgsql_create.sql
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "root"

simple I think, let's run as the database owner horde...

[root at relay2 drivers]# psql -d pgsql_create.sql -U horde -W
Password:
psql: FATAL:  Database "pgsql_create.sql" does not exist in the system catalog.

curses, foiled again.

So reading through the postgresql documentation (reminding myself why I have
steadfastly avoided databases for 20 years), I set up authentication changes and
when I am able to list databases as root, I run this command line:

  psql -d horde -f pgsql_create.sql -U horde -W

which gives me the results:

[root at relay2 drivers]# psql -d horde -f pgsql_create.sql -U horde -W
Password:
psql:pgsql_create.sql:8: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "CONNECT" at
character 1
psql:pgsql_create.sql:29: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create
implicit index 'turba_objects_pkey' for table 'turba_objects'
CREATE TABLE
CREATE INDEX
GRANT

does this mean success or does this mean failure?  Beats the heck out of me.  I
don't have enough knowledge to know and the documentation doesn't say.

---eric