[turba] turning attention to undefined indices

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 2 21:34:05 PST 2003

Quoting "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org>:

> the commentary, and maybe it is based on older versions, was they had
> serious problems with dependencies on new packages that superseded the
> standard system packages.

This shouldn't be a problem for most OS's unless you are running a very
old OS, or it is because of security upgrades.

> They also objected to the time and energy it
> took to get it running and keep running what with the formerly
> frequently appearing PHP security holes.  I picked up a sense of
> something as simple shouldn't be this hard.  fortunately, it seems like
> php has cleaned up quite a bit and is not generating quite so many
> security problems as it had in the past.

I have heard many people bad-mouth php-based projects due to the security
updates and general updates of php.  First, I think these complaints are
really misdirected.  The same could be said, after all, about apache or
IIS security updates, etc.

Most, though not all, of the upgrades needed for Horde are php security
upgrades.  I don't see a way around that...  (That is for releases, not
for HEAD).

> granted, this is soft information and I don't blame you if you want to
> ignore it but it is there.

No, it is decent info, and I've heard the same type of complaint (we don't
like package X because it is php and php changes too much).  Not sure what
can be done here, since the options are limited (cgi, asp, php, python,
perl, any more?).  I don't think any of these would be an improvement, and
they all have their own drawbacks.

> ask yourself why did Red Hat switch from Horde to squirrel mail?

Red Hat puts in the most popular packages, the ones it is asked to supply.
It doesn't care which is best.  I'm surprised really that they didn't
include both really though.

I think the other reason may have to do with Horde not having been so RPM
friendly, in particular for upgrades.  Our RPM guru has been too busy to
help as much as needed here (But he is still doing an awesome job).

> I have
> other customers that have done the same.  Most common reason is
> ease-of-use and update.

I think ease of use is great.  Ease of update is a concern.  It is being
worked on.  It is a problem area though.

> Personally, I have not used squirrel so I'm not
> sure if it's true but I'm seriously considering experimenting for my
> personal webmail.  I will let you know how it turns out ;-)

Most people like it for the plugin system, and abundent plugins (which may
have lots of bugs, etc. in them).

> true.  Should I consider it reported or do I need to get a bugzilla
> account here too

The Horde bugzilla is currently dead, so the mailling list is the way
to go.  If you don't see it getting resolved, bring it back up on the
lists.

> I think maybe here we need to agree to disagree.  Given a fast directory
> file system like Reiserfs or ext3 with btrees, you could build a
> database like performance using an understandable directory structure
> and dbm files.

DBM files *are* a database.  No different than postgresql, mysql, etc.

> From what I have seen of the applications, and Horde is
> just using the database as a data repository and search engine.  I know
> I may be wrong but like I said, it's what I've seen so far.

That is what a database is used for.  Whether DBM or postgresql or what ever.

> > These are not database errors.
>
> they aren't?  Well that makes me feel like a goldplated fool.  I spend

Don't feel bad.  It is saying that for some reason "businesscategory"
isn't defined.  Check your horde/turba/config/attributes.php and
horde/turba/config/sources.php files and make sure you defined the
categories in both places.  In some cases (I think only ldap, but
not sure, the cases must match also).

> I will try that but it's curious that I told the database to log to
> syslog and it does a little bit but I see nothing else.

Hmm.  Never tried a syslog, just a file.  Depends on what you are trying
to log also.  Check all your settings in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
and make sure they are all correct.  I know there are syslog settings there
but I've never used them...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics