[turba] Re: problem with duplicate dn with LDAP backend

andreas oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Tue Apr 6 05:40:34 PDT 2004

Edwin Culp wrote:
> Quoting andreas oster <aoster at novanetwork.de>:
>
>> Edwin Culp wrote:
>>
>>> Why not just use mail rather than uid in your dn.  That
>>> should always be unique.  It has always seemed much simpler
>>> to me.  For example my users dn is:
>>>
>> dear Edwin,
>>
>> thank you for your hint, butI think this is not always true.
>> Imagine you have two people that receice their mail from one
>> account (for example info at somecompany.com). If you want to
>> insert an entry for both persons you run into the same
>> 'duplicate dn' problem.
>

> Strange.  You live and learn ;).  I've honestly never
> contemplated adding two different people with two different
> profiles and with the same email address to an ldap
> directory although you can easily deliver the email to the
> same maildir from varias email addresses that could be used
> in a similar and possibly less confusing way either with
> delivery instructions in ldap or simply with
> aliases/forwards/etc.  So they both end up with a unique
> email, which I would like more, but can share the same
> mailbox although that isn't what you are after, me thinks.
>
> Sorry,
>
> ed
>

>>> dn:
>>> mail=eculp at viviendaatualcance.com.mx,ou=people,o=an_ldap_base
>>>
>>> another is:
>>>
>>> dn: mail=eculp at encontacto.net,ou=people,o=an_ldap_base
>>>
>>> it is also trivial to separate into $user=eculp and
>>> $vdomain=encontacto.net by just using a couple of php
>>> functions that you will find in horde/hooks.php like
>>>
>>> $uid = Auth::getBareAuth(); or
>>> $uid = preg_replace('|@.*|i', '', Auth::getAuth();
>>> and
>>> $vdomain = preg_replace('|.*@|i', '', Auth::getAuth(); or if
>>> you want/need to use HTTP_HOST:
>>> $vdomain =
>>> strtolower(preg_replace('/^mail\.|^www\.|^www\.mail\./i',
>>> '', $_SERVE
>>> R['HTTP_HOST']));
>>>
>>> Hope this helps a bit,
>>>
>>> ed

>> best regards
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> --

Hello Edwin,

now I am a little confused :) Do we speak of the same thing ?
What I have is a ou=AddressBook in my directory where our business
contacts should be stored. We will use it as a container for collecting
informations about people/companies with which we are frequently in
contact.
No mail routing decisions or user authentication or things like that.
But rereading your last reply I guess that I did not get you right :)

best regards

Andreas