[turba] Address transfer problem

G G Papazoglou grp at med.uoc.gr
Sat Jan 8 03:41:26 PST 2005

> I would of thought it was obvious that if you customize and/or tweak the
> software upgrades are obviously not going to go smoothly. It's like
> running a cracked version of some windows software and then expecting
> it's automatic upgrade agent to work perfectly.

In my case, the tweaking/customizing was mainly regarding the interface,
with no interference with the 'core' of the installation. That's why I
thought I should post my problem here.

> What you could do is search through the bug reports and see if/when this
> has been fixed, then track the changes through the cvs and see the
> relevant files that where changed to fix this. And apply these changes
> to your local installation.

I will certainly do that. Thank you.

> If it hasn't been fixed, and you would like it to be fixed,
> developers/coders are most likely only going to fix something if it's
> running the latest code - because then they know it's compatible.

This is clear, but of course I wouldn't expect the Horde team to fix a
bug in a previous version. The purpose of my post was to find someone
more experienced than me to give me some general guideline on where to
'search' to be then able to fix this myself.

> I'm sorry if any of this sounds out of line, or is blatantly incorrect
> I'm sure someone will correct me. It just annoyed me to see you moaning
> when Chuck, Jan, and the rest of the team put so much hard work into
> this project for free.

Here you can find me disagreeing with you at most. Maintaining such a
large project for free has nothing to do with the project's support.
It's like you saying that if I buy a large program and the guy who has
been coming and supporting it does not get paid for four months, the
next time he visits me he justs stares at me and does nothing. And as I
have mentioned, I have received the same answer as in my initial post
other times as well (hence the disappointment) (I could search and point
you to the other posts if you like). I would expect at least some minor
support for the previous versions, and not just a cold 'Please upgrade'
answer. There are many people and/or large companies and institutions
using this great project, and at some point they might need some help
(even able to fix most of the problems themselves). And as you can
realise it's whole concept makes it difficult to upgrade to each new
version that becomes available (unless of course you want to preserve
the dark blue color scheme and the 'Welcome to Horde' greeting).
In any case, thanks to all of you for your time, I will do some more
searching and if I am able to fix this I will certainly post my findings.

Best regards,
Greg