[turba] Re: Browsing more than 500 entries II

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 22 08:09:39 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 12:39 +0100, Piviul wrote:
> Thank you very much Andreas. I know this limitation in LDAP and I've
> changed the sizelimit value in slapd.conf. Before this change I can
> browse only 500 entries, now it is not possibile to browse the
> addressbook. Perhaps I can bypass this trouble changing the default
> value on browsing... perhaps... do you know how can I do it?
>
> Best regards
>
> Piviul
>
> lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de wrote:
> > Zitat von Piviul <pluto at flanet.org>:
> >

> >>Hi all, 20 days ago I wrote in ML asking if somone have troubles on
> >>browsing address books having more than 500 entries. None answered me.
> >>
> >>Perhaps this problem can be solved changing the /All/ default value in
> >>the first alphabet letter /A/. So I ask you if somone knows how to
> >>change the default filtering rule in browing address books.
> >

> > Be aware that some "address-stores" like LDAP/MS-AD have a limit on the max
> > number of entries per query. As far as i know OpenLDAPs default is 500...

----
there are other limits - time limits and memory limits within php -
undoubtedly you are running in to them with your fairly perverse usage.

Suggest you experiment searching these same large searches using
ldapsearch from the command line and making certain that it can be done
by your ldap setup. You can capture this to a file to get a handle on
the amounts of memory required to contain the results.

Then, when that is working, you might look at the memory / maximum post
sizes of php and increase them as needed.

It would seem that your usage requires efforting on your part as it is
doubtful that people are doing this.

Craig